I’m always on a mission to find dinners that are easy to prep and cook and take little time from stovetop to table. When I can pair that winning combo with something that also tastes delicious and has me going back for thirds?!?! That my friends is what I call ‘winning’. Yes. Winning in every way possible. If you’re a fan or these flavors, I think you’ll feel the same.
Thank you, Little Spice Jar. This is a recipe we’ll come back to time and time again!
Orange Chicken Lettuce Wraps
- ORANGE CHICKEN SAUCE
1/2 C. Orange Juice
1 TBSP. orange zest
2 TBSP. soy sauce OR liquid aminos
2 TBSP. apple cider vinegar
1/4 C. brown sugar
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
2 TBSP. water
1/2 TBSP cornstarch
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS/INGREDIENTS
Mandarin oranges (canned) OR Halo/Cutie slices (fresh)
Green onions, sliced
Sesame seeds, to taste
Butter lettuce, for serving
- Brown the chicken in a skillet with a tablespoon of olive oil and two teaspoons of minced garlic and remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, add the orange juice, zest, soy sauce (I used liquid aminos), apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, ground ginger, and crushed red pepper flakes.
- In a small bowl, add the water and cornstarch and mix until combined.
- Add the water/cornstarch mixture to the medium bowl and use a whisk to blend until ingredients are combined.
- Heat the liquid mixture in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook until the mixture thickens. As the OP says, “it should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon”. I didn’t spoon check it, I just kept an eye on it and continued to stir until I felt it was thick enough.
- Once the sauce thickens, remove from heat and pour over the chicken (still in the skillet). Mix well and then continue to cook over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To prep, scoop a few spoonfuls of the chicken/sauce mixture onto a lettuce leaf. Top with green onion, mandarin oranges, and sesame seeds. We skipped out on the sesame seeds and loaded up on the green onion and a few mandarin oranges. DELICIOUS.
- These lettuce wraps are also great topped with chili garlic sauce, but proceed with an abundance of caution if you’re not a fan of spicy/hot!
Simplify Your Teaching
Join our community for tips, tricks, and resources to help you simplify your teaching!