While I know this dinner is approved by only 3 out of 4 family members (anybody else have a picky eater?!), I can guarantee to you that the three of us who loved it are spot on in our critique of this meal 🙂 It was AMAZING! I always love a good chicken noodle soup, but making it creamy made it that much better…even if I did add too many egg noodles. With the cooler months ahead you’ll definitely want this recipe in your arsenal of comfort meals….it’s SOUPer!
Recipe via Cooking Classy
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
2 C. dry egg noodles
1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cubed)
1.5 TBSP olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
3 raw carrots, diced
3 stalks of celery, chopped
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 (14.5 oz) cans of chicken broth
3 TBSP. chopped parsley
Salt & pepper, to taste
2 bay leaves
1/4 C. butter
1/4 C. + 2 TBSP all purpose flour
2.5 C. milk
1.3 C. heavy cream
- Start by cooking the egg noodles first according to package directions…only the amount required unless you want yours to be thick and chunky like mine (I added way too many…oops!) When ready, remove from heat and drain.
Heat the olive oil in a large pot and add the onions, celery, and carrots. Saute for about 4-5 minutes, add garlic, and saute for another minute or so.
- Now toss in the chicken broth, parsley, and bay leaves. Stir to combine ingredients, take a little taste, and add the salt and pepper as desired.
- Add chicken and bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium, cover with a lid, and cook until the chicken is heated/cooked through (no more pink!!)
- In a separate saucepan, heat butter until melted. Add flour and whisk constantly until the mixture is a little on the thick side (about 2 minutes-ish). Now add the milk and continue to whisk until the lumps are gone and the mixture is smooth.
- Add the heavy cream to the mixture in the separate saucepan and bring to a boil. Be sure to continue to whisk while the the mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat and add to the soup/broth mixture in your large pot.
- Now toss in the cooked egg noodles to the soup/milk mixture and stir to combine.
- Serve and enjoy!
Simplify Your Teaching
Join our community for tips, tricks, and resources to help you simplify your teaching!