Hello. My name is Judas.
Well, not actually…but it should be. Because I, too, have betrayed Jesus.
And so have you.
Judas handed Jesus over for 33 pieces of silver, but we’ve sold him out for far less.
We betray him every time we…
- look for our worth in the world instead of His word.
- find comfort in our flesh over His spirit.
- choose dishonesty over authenticity.
- are quick to anger and slow to forgive.
- complain instead of praise.
- posture ourselves on the throne of lies & defeat instead of sitting at the feet of the cross.
- gossip instead of walking away.
- choose worry over worship.
- settle for a lukewarm faith over a spirit on fire for the Lord.
- race through a life of busyness instead of resting in His presence.
- hold a grudge instead of extending grace.
- choose hate instead of love.
- seek out personal applause instead of standing up for His cause.
- use our words to divide instead of unify.
…and the list goes on.
While our betrayals haven’t physically put Jesus to death, every subtle act of treachery annihilates his grieving spirit.
But he loves us anyway.
So instead of wondering why Jesus extended compassion toward Judas when he so easily could have turned his back on him in contempt, I’m grateful Judas got what he didn’t deserve.
The same God who knew Judas would betray him, but washed his feet & shared his last hours on earth with him anyway, is the same God extending his grace and compassion to us now. Thank you, Jesus, for this indescribable gift.
Matthew 26: 16-29
Simplify Your Teaching
Join our community for tips, tricks, and resources to help you simplify your teaching!