I love finding new-to-me soup recipes. I have quite a few Mexican flavored soups we barrel through on a monthly basis so I tend to try and steer clear of those because how different can they really be?! But when I found this recipe and read that it included Masa and cheese, well, I was sold. Thick and hearty and full of flavor…a different flavor than any of the other Mexican soups we keep repeating. And it takes NO TIME to make!! Even better!
Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup
2 TBSP vegetable oil
1 small white or yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1.2 C. masa harina (flour)
3 C. Chicken stock
1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
1 (10 oz.) can red enchilada sauce
1 (14 oz) can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 (14 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp. salt
1 C. shredded cheddar cheese
Pico de Gallo
- Dice onion and mince garlic. Set aside.
- Add vegetable oil to a large stockpot or dutch oven. Heat on med/high heat and toss in the chopped onion. Saute until the onions are translucent…about 5-6 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and heat for an additional minute.
- Add masa harina and heat for additional minute.
- Add 1 & 1/2 C. chicken stock and stir until lumps disappear.
- Add remaining 1 & 1/2 C. chicken stock and whisk to combine.
- Add rotisserie chicken, enchilada sauce, black beans, diced tomatoes, and green chiles. Stir until well combined.
- Add cumin and salt and mix until blended.
- Simmer on med/low heat for 3-5 minutes (continue to stir mixture so that it doesn’t stick to bottom of stockpot/Dutch oven.
- Remove from heat and add cheese. Stir until melted.
- Serve as is or with any additional (optional) toppings you desire!
- This is a meal that takes 20 minutes from start to finish and is packed full of flavor!
Simplify Your Teaching
Join our community for tips, tricks, and resources to help you simplify your teaching!